Sunday, November 13, 2016

Waitress

This was the second time I got to see this show, and I brought my friend from high school who had never seen a Bway show. I knew this one would be a good choice for her. It's witty, smart, funny, pulls at your heart strings, and the music is amazing.
 Since seeing it last time, most of the cast has changed. Jessie Meuller and Christopher Fitzgerald were both out (damn it) so they had understudies on, and the secondary cast has also gone through a change, so it really felt like a whole different show for me. One of the things that didn't work that well for me was that Becky has now been cast as a black lady, and I thought she was amazing, but there are a few beats on stage where the character Joe "shoos" her off, and says "I don't want YOU" and it felt way more racist than the last time when it was a hispanic woman. Made me feel uncomfortable.
We loved seeing the show, and my friend LOVED "It Only Takes a Taste." 
 The understudy for Jessie Meuller actually came from the ensemble and plays the doctor's wife every night, so I was able to explain to my friend about "tracks" and seeing who in the ensemble would cover the leads. We loved it and had great seats in the 4th to last row in the orchestra on the side. We missed maybe 1 entrance, but nothing huge.




No comments:

Post a Comment